Sunday, November 1, 2009

"This Is It!" - Michael Jackson

June 25th, 2009, was a very sad day for Andrea - - an eccentric, musical genius, Michael Jackson, was gone.
Andrea has been a HUGE Michael Jackson fan since 1983 or so. In 1985, Andrea's parents surprised her with a trip to The Jackson's "Victory" concert at the Gatorbowl in Florida - a treat I will never, never forget (thanks in part to our relatives in Orlando, especially cousin Jayne). Oh how I would have loved to have gone to his "This Is It" farewell concert! Who could have known that the preparations for the concert would have been his true "farewell."
My wonderful friend, Michelle, invited me to go with her to the viewing of the Michael Jackson "This Is It" movie (a documentary of his concert rehearsals and final days). I was so incredibly thankful that she invited me to see it on the "big screen" because without her prompting, I don't think I would have seen in the theater, but rather just on video (I wasn't confident that I could convince hubby to go along with me).

I found my old Michael Jackson t-shirt from 1984 (with a small moth-hole in the back) and my single glove earring (dangling in my left ear). I would have worn my glitter socks and glove if they hadn't been packed away at my parents' in North Augusta. Thank you, Michelle, for helping me re-live the excitement and adrenaline rush felt back in the 80's when it came to anything about Michael.

Michael Joseph Jackson, 1958-2009. May he rest in peace.

No comments: